Topic: Alex, Hero, Villain, Anti-Hero, or just a Guy passing through?  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Light

• Honored Admiral Adept
  • "For fucks sake!" - Generic Brit
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
    • Email
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:58:22 PM »
Discuss

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
I would say classic villain. He manipulates others to get to his goal and obtain absolute power

Offline Rolina

• Admiral Adept
  • The Fulminous Witch
    • View Profile
    • The Witch's Wall
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »
He certainly comes across as a Villain, but so too did Saturos and Menardi in TBS.  Rather, while he has questionable motives, my personal theory is that there is a purpose behind all of his machinations, and it's not one of power lust or greed.  Likely, I think he's learned of a coming threat, one that requires an immense amount of power to stop, and THAT is why he's so focused on gaining all that power - both the power of the elements through the Golden Sun, and arguably the power of the Fundaments as well through the Grave Eclipse.

Many people try to use his attempt at destroying Vale as proof that he's evil, but there's no way in hell he didn't notice their evacuation - he very likely knew that not only was that village empty, it'd be destroyed anyways regardless of whether it was by him or not due to the sinking and eruption of Mount Aleph.  As such, he was merely testing his powers, knowing full well nobody would be hurt by his actions.  As for his words on the summit?  It's called a power rush.  When he suddenly got all that power, the way it just came onto him like that probably felt akin to a drug.

However, ultimately I think he will fail.  Why?  Because there's two flaws to his plans.  First, he's putting everything on himself - by doing that, he lacks backup.  Second, nobody likes a manipulative bastard.  He's not gaining friends with his actions - he's gaining enemies.  Eventually, when it comes time to take on the bigger bad he's trying to stop, the heroes will probably confuse Alex for the main threat, will take him down, but then have to face the true enemy who Alex was preparing to stop.  A similar situation happens in Chrono Trigger during the Assault on Magus' Castle.

Between the tendencies for the villains of GS to not actually be evil, but actually be sympathetic or even down right be heroes, I tend to think that Alex has very good reasons for what he's doing.  But like Saturos and Menardi before him, and very possibly Blados and Chalis as well, his actions will be interpreted as being evil, and it'll be up to the protags to take down what had him spooked in the first place.

Or camelot could be stupid and make him a generic boring villain.  That'd be totally lame, but not unexpected.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:03:09 AM by Rolina »

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
I think he did it for the lulz.

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 09:09:10 PM »
Why can I actually see that happening

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
Because Alex is like the honey badger. He don't give a $#!&.

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Team Flare Zakk ( Agatio )

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
He certainly comes across as a Villain, but so too did Saturos and Menardi in TBS.  Rather, while he has questionable motives, my personal theory is that there is a purpose behind all of his machinations, and it's not one of power lust or greed.  Likely, I think he's learned of a coming threat, one that requires an immense amount of power to stop, and THAT is why he's so focused on gaining all that power - both the power of the elements through the Golden Sun, and arguably the power of the Fundaments as well through the Grave Eclipse.

Many people try to use his attempt at destroying Vale as proof that he's evil, but there's no way in hell he didn't notice their evacuation - he very likely knew that not only was that village empty, it'd be destroyed anyways regardless of whether it was by him or not due to the sinking and eruption of Mount Aleph.  As such, he was merely testing his powers, knowing full well nobody would be hurt by his actions.  As for his words on the summit?  It's called a power rush.  When he suddenly got all that power, the way it just came onto him like that probably felt akin to a drug.

However, ultimately I think he will fail.  Why?  Because there's two flaws to his plans.  First, he's putting everything on himself - by doing that, he lacks backup.  Second, nobody likes a manipulative bastard.  He's not gaining friends with his actions - he's gaining enemies.  Eventually, when it comes time to take on the bigger bad he's trying to stop, the heroes will probably confuse Alex for the main threat, will take him down, but then have to face the true enemy who Alex was preparing to stop.  A similar situation happens in Chrono Trigger during the Assault on Magus' Castle.

Between the tendencies for the villains of GS to not actually be evil, but actually be sympathetic or even down right be heroes, I tend to think that Alex has very good reasons for what he's doing.  But like Saturos and Menardi before him, and very possibly Blados and Chalis as well, his actions will be interpreted as being evil, and it'll be up to the protags to take down what had him spooked in the first place.

Or camelot could be stupid and make him a generic boring villain.  That'd be totally lame, but not unexpected.

[Rolina, I liked the comparison you made with Magus and Alex, it's a good one.

Magus in Chrono Trigger looked the big bad, but the true enemy was Lavas, same thing could happen with Alex, perhaps whoever is the High Emperor is the main villain, and only Alex knows who he is and how to stop him.

If Alex does turn out not to be the main villian, I hope instead of having to kill him, there is a option to defeat him or let him join the party much like Magus in Chrono Trigger. ]

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:08 PM »
To quote better, speak what you say outside of the quote

Rolina, I liked the comparison you made with Magus and Alex, it's a good one.

Magus in Chrono Trigger looked the big bad, but the true enemy was Lavas, same thing could happen with Alex, perhaps whoever is the High Emperor is the main villain, and only Alex knows who he is and how to stop him.

If Alex does turn out not to be the main villian, I hope instead of having to kill him, there is a option to defeat him or let him join the party much like Magus in Chrono Trigger.

Offline Rolina

• Admiral Adept
  • The Fulminous Witch
    • View Profile
    • The Witch's Wall
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
Aye - an ongoing theme in GS is that nobody is really truely evil - they all have their own motives or reasons for doing what they do.  Even Dodonpa's actions weren't just pure evil - it was a spoiled git of a lad saying "gimme gimme gimme".  My threory?  It'll be a legit force of nature they'll have to stop, or maybe something set up as a safeguard against alchemy's return.  Alex's going uber?  It's his attempt to try and stop it - gather the power for himself.  Isaac, on the other hand, gathered allies.

It's a similar thing that's been done elsewhere.  In Negima, gathering allies was called the "path of light", while gathering power was the "path of darkness".  Similarly, in KH3D, Sora's specials involve teaming up with his allies, while Riku's involve absorbing their power.  I figure this would be similar.  Alex takes the "path of darkness" and gathers the power into himself to try and stop it, while the Heroes of Vale gather allies and achieve essentially the same thing.

Offline Scorpio

• Mars Clan
  • The Legandary Hero King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:14:28 AM »
That's what I think. I think he's going to die saving the next party and Amiti will have to talk to him while he's dying. I believe the final boss will be like Nergal was in FE:7: He was invincible, but the Archsage Athos used most of his power to make him killable. (Long story short.) I believe Alex will do this because I know he's not a villain. Just read his mind in the Jupiter Lighthouse.

Offline Ivan Strider

• Show me da wae
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:19:01 AM »
I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!!!!! I always read his mind BEFORE jupiter lighthouse. Not During.
The most important day of the gay agenda is obviously Taco Tuesday

Offline Scorpio

• Mars Clan
  • The Legandary Hero King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 01:55:18 AM »
He worries about Mia in his thought box.

Offline Light

• Honored Admiral Adept
  • "For fucks sake!" - Generic Brit
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »
He worries about Mia in his thought box.
Buahahahahaha

If you said Mia instead, it would be even more hilarious

Offline Team Flare Zakk ( Agatio )

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:41:20 PM »
I think if anything, the final boss could be another Lavos.

Alex could be like Magus, in the art of how he was trying to stop Queen Zeal from using Lavos to destroy the world.

Also Alex could act like Schala, in the art of being Amiti's father, if he is destroyed by the evil he's trying to stop, maybe Amiti, whom right now is like Janus, starts being like Magus himself like father like son, he starts acting different as if he became Alex, possibly as act of being strong.

Amiti did say in Dark Dawn that for some reason, he can't help but ask what would Alex do in a time like this, possibly hinting us that he might become like Alex later on, Matthew followed in his father's footsteps, so why not Amiti.

Also maybe Amiti pulls a Sephiroth and becomes bad?

As for the final boss, if it's not Alex, I can't help but hope it's Saturos, maybe somehow Saturos survived the Venus Lighthouse, but he's still evil because he has no idea of some of the events that occurred during his absence.

However if Alex is the big evil, then we should be reffering to him as the Ganondorf of Golden Sun, simple as that.