Topic: I don't want Camelot to make Golden Sun 4.  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Star Magician

• The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
...because let's face it: if they made it, it'd be a trainwreck. Dark Dawn is proof enough for me. Not only that, looking back at the dialogue of the first two games only solidified my feelings further. It's terrible. The ending of TLA is terrible. When you have a plot that requires its fanbase to fill in the holes of, which is just educated speculation at best, that's quite a problem. How does one solve this problem?

Someone else needs to make GS4. I'm at a point where I think Camelot is incapable now. I really doubt something like this would happen, seeing how stubborn Nintendo and its first parties like to be, but if it did... The results could be amazing. We could see actual closure on a lot of plotholes that have existed since TLA was released. We could finally have a challenging veteran's GS, both in battle and out, like TLA was. Or better! But who could do this? I have two companies I'd like to see make GS 4.

Atlus - I think this is the most obvious choice based on track record alone, but Atlus is a third party. That doesn't necessarily mean that they can't though, but do you see Nintendo doing something like this? Yeah, me niether. But let's say it did happen. Atlus has a reputation for making challenging RPG's with enjoyable, intuitive gameplay. They could breathe some new life into GS's combat system and create some nice puzzles to solve. I think this is what a lot of people would want, but I'm leaning towards another...

Monolith Soft - Famous for Xenoblade Chronicles and its upcoming successor, they have made some of the most intricate stories JRPG's have ever seen with the Xeno series. If anyone could bring closure to the GS series, and even improve it, it's Monolith Soft. I could see them making Weyard explorable again successfully too. They're experts at creating an immersive atmosphere and know how to properly dramatize events. That is something GS really needs, because the presentation of the story of the past three games has been lame at best. To top it all off, Monolith Soft is a Nintendo first party.

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants? Is there another group of developers you'd like to see work on GS, or am I talking out my ass and Camelot should just do it?

prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny dood

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
I think one of the major problems with Dark Dawn was misplaced focus and making too many promises. (Like the many hints for another sequel, and a lack of an ending, while forgetting to make the game impressive enough to warrant one.)

By misplaced focus I mean that it seems they tried a lot harder for the story of DD.
This is not one of Golden Sun's strong suits. Obviously one of it's weakest ones.
It threw a nice curve there, but I think part of that impact was due to the lowered expectation.
Golden Sun is not about character development, it's not about intriguing plot.

Golden Sun is about World Building, Character Design, and interesting Mechanics & Puzzles.
Camelot did good when they were focused on these.

Golden Sun isn't really about the story, I'd say it's about Weyard.

I can't say much about Monolith Soft.

Atlus, I'm usually quite impressed with their work, but... I don't really think their particular touch would fit with Golden Sun without changing it almost completely. I can already imagine the booby monster (or several) with cleavage threatening to consume all things of this plane. Sex appeal doesn't really belong in Golden Sun, and I get the feeling there would be at least a few "fan service characters" around with Atlus at the helm. A more legitimate worry might be that Atlus really hasn't made an impressive overworld before.

I can't think of a company that could really deliver what I would like to see (nor what I'd like to really see for that matter).
I think Camelot should get another chance.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:41 AM »
I think one of the major problems with Dark Dawn was misplaced focus and making too many promises. (Like the many hints for another sequel, and a lack of an ending, while forgetting to make the game impressive enough to warrant one.)

By misplaced focus I mean that it seems they tried a lot harder for the story of DD.
This is not one of Golden Sun's strong suits. Obviously one of it's weakest ones.
It threw a nice curve there, but I think part of that impact was due to the lowered expectation.
Golden Sun is not about character development, it's not about intriguing plot.

Golden Sun is about World Building, Character Design, and interesting Mechanics & Puzzles.
Camelot did good when they were focused on these.

I agree with that. That's why I would rather see Monolith Soft working on GS over Atlus. In every Xeno game, the universe is incredibly intricate, but everything is available for the player to learn about it. Xenoblade Chronicles is a prime example of what they're capable of in this regard, AND they could make a compelling story on top of it. Because that's just what they do. Lol.

Atlus, I'm usually quite impressed with their work, but... I don't really think their particular touch would fit with Golden Sun without changing it almost completely. I can already imagine the booby monster (or several) with cleavage threatening to consume all things of this plane. Sex appeal doesn't really belong in Golden Sun, and I get the feeling there would be at least a few "fan service characters" around with Atlus at the helm. A more legitimate worry might be that Atlus really hasn't made an impressive overworld before.
Pretty much sums up why I'm iffy on Atlus, except the whole fanservice thing, cuz I don't think family friendly Nintendo would let them do that. Lol. They probably would change a few things to one of their styles. THAT BEING SAID, unlike Monolith Soft, I could see Atlus making GS popular again. The way they do gameplay appeals to a lot of people, whereas Monolith Soft has more of a niche market.

Well, if Camelot does end up making it, I will just have to go in with very low expectations. That way, there's a chance I might be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Jenna

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Gym Leader Jenna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
Right on, Star!

I'm tired of Camelot's bs myself, all they ever did was treat Golden Sun like garbage and for what, tennis and golf games nobody cares about, its ridiculous.

Also its all their fault we didn't see a Golden Sun character in Super Smash Bros for 3ds and Wii U, I still have some hopes for Isaac being dlc, but I'm not getting any hopes up.

I don't think we need a new company, I think we need a new guy to work on the series and my recommendation is...

Sakurai!

I think Sakurai should adopt the series, like he did Kid Icarus and Sakurai did a excellent job with Uprising and he became attached to the series as he worked on it, who knows maybe Sakurai would become attached to Golden Sun.

Also it would be another series for Sakurai to put under his belt, he currently has Kirby and Kid Icarus, so how about adding Golden Sun as his third first party, he still has a bit to go to catch up to Miyomoto, but still, its a step further.

I think we need some sort of fighting game like Super Smash Bros except with all Golden Sun characters so we can see all our favorite Golden Sun characters from the first two games fight it out, this would be a good way to resurrect the popularity of all the Golden Sun characters, which is definitely needed now.

I don't recommend another second party, Gamefreak cares about nothing, but Pokémon, and Monosoft would treat this series like garbage.

I think Sakurai really wanted to include Golden Sun in Super Smash Bros, but didn't due to Dark Dawn being a piece of garbage, he didn't because he knew Dark Dawn should not be included in Super Smash Bros, again I still hope he considers Isaac for dlc, after all dlc does seem very likely.

Also of the first party developers, I think Sakurai's team would be Golden Sun's best bet of getting it's own, "uprising" after all Kid  Icarus Uprising is the perfect example of what Sakurai could do to a series that was absent for twenty years and if we choose to disregard Dark Dawn because it sucks, then Golden Sun has been absent for 11 years, so its not too late.

I think Dark Dawn needs buried and somehow disregarded as non-canon somehow and here's a few ideas that do that.

Dark Dawn is merely a dream Isaac has showing him the future if they don't continue their journey from where they left off in Lost Age instead of waiting 30 years to act.

Therefore lets make Dark Dawn as relevant as fake Super Mario Bros 2 on the NES, which was just a dream.

After all Dark Dawn is as relevant as Zelda's timeline that ends with Spirit Tracks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:25:45 AM by Agatio »

Offline L

• Honored Admiral Adept
  • No matter how old we get, we are still children.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »
I suppose a Revision would be needed if someone else took over.

Golden Sun could easily become one of the greatest traditional RPG's in every category if more focus was added to Gameplay, Story, and Characters.

The Music is great as it was, and the graphics were the best on the Game Boy Advance (you will not get any arguments).

Not too many plot elements, so it does not end up like Dark Dawn. Just a set-focused story with great characters.

I would not mind if they started over, as long as the base plot details (with mass improvements added) and most of the characters get carried over.

All this is required if the Game is to be a success, otherwise it will take major luck to get as many sales that Dark Dawn generated (which still under-performed compared to the original 2).

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
Just adding a Mario RPG/Legend of Dragoon type mechanic would make the fighting more engaging.
I don't really know who I'd select to head it. Not Sakurai though, I don't trust the guy really.
He can do some good work, but he's a weasel and probably an otaku.

A nice reboot would be pretty cool, but I'd not expect much from it.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
I wouldn't want Sakurai in charge of Golden Sun either, though I'll admit that it's totally possible his team could make it awesome. I just can't help but think he'd make the game more childish or be less serious about it.
The best candidate for making GS4 would have to be a team who's experienced with making JRPG's. Monolith Soft and Atlus are the top two I can think of. Another team who could possibly do a good job is Falcom, who developed the Ys series among others, but they're Sony Ponies (mostly).

@Lawsford: do you think a different team should make GS4 or would you want to give Camelot another shot? I agree that it has potential to be one of the best RPG's ever. I wish that potential was taken advantage of...

Offline CHEESE4ALL

• Luna Clan
  • Golden Sun Adept
  • Ich habe keine Katze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 02:42:36 PM »
*ignores comment about a booby monster*

I think if Camelot came out with another Golden Sun I'd be... meh.   After playing DD I kinda lost all hope for a decent sequal by them. Or anyone, admittedly.  DD just wasn't enough to draw in new fans. Instead, with DD it has probably lost several potential fans.   I do want a sequal, but I don't see it happening.  I don't know about someone else making it, that has the potential to be really good, or really bad.  If someone does make it, I just hope they stick to the same characters, answer lots of questions, and hopefully stick with that music because the music was a definite tone setter.  With a different tone, Golden Sun could easily have been the cheesiest thing ever and several of us may never have even come on here. 
  In the end, I hope there will be a sequel, and that that sequel with be most similar to the first GS game.  Interesting story, decent plot, interesting graphics, fun puzzles, and- hopefully- to catch the essence of GS that I feel was lost in DD.  If this can be done, I don't care who does it,as long as they do it right.

(But c'mon, who doesn't want a booby monster whose cleavage threatens to consume an entire dimension?!?!)
I'm so happy I could just tear out your intestines and strangle you with them!

Offline L

• Honored Admiral Adept
  • No matter how old we get, we are still children.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam Account
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 12:06:12 AM »
*ignores comment about a booby monster*

I think if Camelot came out with another Golden Sun I'd be... meh.   After playing DD I kinda lost all hope for a decent sequal by them. Or anyone, admittedly.  DD just wasn't enough to draw in new fans. Instead, with DD it has probably lost several potential fans.   I do want a sequal, but I don't see it happening.  I don't know about someone else making it, that has the potential to be really good, or really bad.  If someone does make it, I just hope they stick to the same characters, answer lots of questions, and hopefully stick with that music because the music was a definite tone setter.  With a different tone, Golden Sun could easily have been the cheesiest thing ever and several of us may never have even come on here. 
  In the end, I hope there will be a sequel, and that that sequel with be most similar to the first GS game.  Interesting story, decent plot, interesting graphics, fun puzzles, and- hopefully- to catch the essence of GS that I feel was lost in DD.  If this can be done, I don't care who does it,as long as they do it right.

(But c'mon, who doesn't want a booby monster whose cleavage threatens to consume an entire dimension?!?!)
You really want Golden Sun to be like Anime, and have fan service don't you? :09:

What I meant by my post is a Revision of the series (A remake/reboot), basically start over.

Offline CHEESE4ALL

• Luna Clan
  • Golden Sun Adept
  • Ich habe keine Katze.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:54 AM »
Nah.  I don't much care for anime.    A complete do over might be interesting...  but I think my heart would remain with the original two.
I'm so happy I could just tear out your intestines and strangle you with them!

Offline Jenna

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Gym Leader Jenna
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
Nah.  I don't much care for anime.    A complete do over might be interesting...  but I think my heart would remain with the original two.

Same here.

Although with Lost Age, we totally need Alex to actually become the final boss, I want to fight him!

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »
What if they were remade in complete 3D for the Wii U?... Lol, who am I kidding, that will never happen.

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:31:28 AM »
DD prob made such little profit that they decided the series was dead :(

Offline Lunor

• Sol Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • The Lost Shadow
    • MSN Messenger - zachmcv001@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
Okay, in reading the posts that were made previous to this one, I have a few comments I'd like to make.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and, in case you didn't hear me the last six times, YES. Golden Sun is more about traversing the expanse of Weyard that anything else. Just like Morrowind is more about traversing Vvardenfell than killing Dagoth Ur. If the focus is taken off the world and put on the story, then too many twists and turns are brought in. I don't know about y'all, but I didn't particularly enjoy going from "Oh, hey! Let's get a Roc feather!" to "Oh crap the world's gonna end." I found the transition idiotic and senseless.That'd be like making it so you can't do anything BUT the story in the Elder Scrolls series. But hey, that's just one man's opinion.

I am of the same mind. If you're going to make a sequel, keep it in the spirit of the previous games, not altering focus, not changing music. The whole thing is that yes, many fans were probably lost because, to me, Dark Dawn left a lot to be desired. That being said, there were a few things done correctly in that game. I did enjoy being able to fight shadow creatures just by entering the darkened area. That was enjoyable. The graphics were better. The amount of weaponry available was better. I just did not want this to be all negatives.

Although with Lost Age, we totally need Alex to actually become the final boss, I want to fight him!

Agatio, I'm right there with you on this one, bud.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 11:59:35 PM »
Golden Sun is more about traversing the expanse of Weyard that anything else. Just like Morrowind is more about traversing Vvardenfell than killing Dagoth Ur.
Now that you talk like that, I really would like a prequel type deal, set in the age of alchemy.
Get to pick your race from, Jenei (With regular choices between the elements, Lemurian, and Anemos), Proxian, Beastman, Exathi, Fori, or Dwarf.
Big free roam of all the lands.