Topic: Drakengard & NieR Thread?  (Read 617 times)

Offline Star Magician

• The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: September 04, 2015, 10:36:21 AM »
I've probably asked this somewhere on TLW, but has anyone here played any of the Drakengard games or Nier?

Nier in particular hasn't been able to escape my mind since I completed it over half a year ago, which was only made more ingrained by the announced sequel at Squeenix's E3 conference. I am rabidly excited for that game.
 :01:

This is why I need to stay away from events like E3. Just sayin'

prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny dood

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:05:03 PM »
I really adored the first game. Like all around loved it. (My favorite character was the blind pedophile-priest, by the way.)
Course the sequels flew under my nose and I haven't played the first one since back when it released, though I do remember it really well considering.
Course, I'd love to replay it and get my hands on all the sequels.
Not to mention that I didn't even know NieR was part of the series at all until a little while ago.
(I think it may have actually been you who told me that, but I can't remember for sure, might of heard it from DemolitionD+ instead.)
I  haven't seen a copy of any of'em floating around my area though.

Guess I'll just have to just buy them online some day, but that's something I'll have to get around to eventually.
That list of things I'm gonna do eventually is getting really, really, huge.  :gsfrown:
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:43:41 AM »
I love the first game's plot, characters and setting. But damn, that gameplay is pretty janky. I got stuck at a boss on Branch B and haven't touched the game since. I should go back to it and find the ally characters, because I never saw a single one of them on my bare-bones playthrough lol...

I've seen a lot of horror stories about Drakengard 2, which is apparently based off Ending A in Drakengard. Couple that with how rare and expensive it is, and I'd say to avoid it like I have.

Drakengard 3 is a technical marvel, being a very late PS3 release with lots of technical problems, especially frame rate issues. However, it's sooooo much fun to play because the combat system is fluid, fast-paced, challenging (rage-inducing at times lol...) and oh so satisfying, especially when taking down a large boss.
It's much better than the first two games, and has a great sense of dark humor throughout the game. It's a prequel to the entire series, and has a massive amount of backstory outside of the game itself that can be found in novellas, manga and DLC.

Nier is one of my favorite games of all time. It has one of the greatest stories I've ever experienced in a game despite being a series spin-off and sequel to Drakengard's Ending E, and the gameplay isn't bad either. It has gameplay variations that reference many classic game genres including JRPG's, 2D shooters, top-down strategy games, platformers and even direct Zelda references (the core gameplay borrows a lot of 3D Zelda mechanics too).

I highly recommend both Drakengard 3 and Nier if you like the first game.
Yeah, that might have been me that mentioned that about Nier, lol.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »

New trailer for Nier Automata. Looks like the combat will be a lot more fluid, and they are returning the bullet hell-style boss attacks, which makes me happy.
 :65:

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
So.... I don't know if anyone else here besides Aether is trying out Nier Automata, but I really highly recommend it to anyone who considers themselves a dedicated gamer.

It's hard to describe why I love this game so much without spoiling things, and it's the kind of game that's best experienced as blind as possible going into it. This game is very special, and it pushed MAJORA'S MASK out of my top 10 favorite games of all time, just sayin'

Offline Scorpio

• Mars Clan
  • The Legandary Hero King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
I'll probably get it once it's cheaper. Looks fun, but with bills and a laptop that needs repair, I can't justify the expenditure.