Topic: To-watch Anime List  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Star Magician

• The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: June 07, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Basically, this is where I'm going to post some anime that piqued my interest for whatever reason but haven't watched.

-Puella Magi Madoka Magica (heard a very funny description of it on a Youtube video, so it made me want to watch it)
-Nichijou (because it looks like it's really fun and silly)
-Psycho Pass
-Sword Art Online (my brother recommended it to me)
-Lots of Miyazaki films (in particular, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle)
-Akira

It will happen one of these days, I swear. I just don't have much free time anymore lol. What else do y'all suggest? I'd like to find some anime that's pretty serious and complex with less fan service if possible.

What I've already seen:
Sailor Moon
DragonBallZ
Yu Yu Hakusho
Cowboy Bebop
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Disgaea
Gundam Wing
G Gundam
Outlaw Star
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenchi in Tokyo
Rurouni Kenshin
(Most of these were watched years and years ago, god I'm so old)

Not interested in:
Naruto
Other stereotypical shonen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:47:09 AM by Star Magician »

prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny dood

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:21 PM »
Let's see now, a masterlist of all my anime...

Plan to watch/finish watching
Gintama (subreddit doin a rewatch of the 200 episodes @_@)
Strike the Blood (no senpai, this is our fight)
Seitokai Yakuindomo (sex jokes the anime)
Nisekoi (gorilla person)
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou (watashi wa JACK)
My friend Totoro (cuz the subreddit won't stop postin bout it)
Angel Beats (You don't die when you're killed
Air (to finish the "holy trinity of anime")
Persona 4 the animation (finished watchin game, now watch anime)
Danganronpa the animation (same as above)
One Week Friends (don't remember the jap name)
The Devil's a Part Timer (Will he make it minimum wage?)
No game no life
Sword Art Online
Akame ga kill
Joshiraku
Bakemonogatari
Log Horizon
Space Dandy
Death Note
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei

I think that's everythin I'm plannin on watchin, probably not.

Anime I've already watched/caught up on
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Higurashi no naku koro ni (and kai and rei and the other ovas)
Umineko no naku koro ni
Nichijou
Clannad
Kanon
Love Live!
Gurren Lagann
Kill la Kill
Ponyo
Yuyushiki
K
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Toradora!
Nagi no asukara

If I remember more I'll post it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:18:14 PM by Axolotl »

Offline Xazel

• Newbie Adept
  • Time is scarce; 'rather spend it enjoyably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:28:37 PM »
@Star:
Have you tried looking into Psycho Pass? It may be something you'd like since you don't like the fan service that much, and want something more serious. It also aligns with Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin in some aspects (not a whole lot, but they're there). It -does- have fan service, but it's not -in-your-face-all-the-time-super-happy-go-lucky-random fan service like how many animes overuse it today.

However, it definitely is a more dark anime, with lots of thinking involved and plot developments you might appreciate, given your post. I also think that their music and openings are unique and amazing, which is always reassuring and nice to see in an anime. I'd say give it a try if you have time. If you end up not liking it, then I tried. Dx

Also, try Samurai Champloo. It's very inconventional and has laid-back yet serious themes. 'Don't recall a lot of fan service there either.

I'm also surprised Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood wasn't on your watched list. It -is- shounen to be fair, but I believe I'm not alone when I say that it's -very- likely to be one of the most well-rounded animes out there to this day. It accomplishes the feat of taking on multiple genres very well, and it's not like "oh, I need to get stronger--must train and win on will-power!". It's really nice.

@Axolotl:
gintama: just amazingly mold-breaking. funny, action-packed, clever, adventurous, great characters and music and plot. one of my favorites, lol.
strike the blood: interesting and has good elements, but too much fan service and too many cliches, imo.
danshi no koukousei no nichijou: hilarious. hands down. one of my favorites, along with baka and test.
angel beats: great story line, uplifting yet gives you those emotional rollercoasters and cool moments. not one of my favorites, but still high up there.
one week friends is isshuukan tomodachi.
hararaku maou sama (devils a part timer): hilariously refreshing. doesn't make too many cliche jokes, and it's funny to see how they adapt. glad to see other people like it too, because I feel like it's fairly underrated and underexposed.

based off your list, i'd also recommend sakurasou no pet na kanojo (pet girl of sakurasou). it's a slice-of-life anime with comedy and drama. i'd also recommend tengen toppa gurren lagann to anyone who hasn't watched it, especially since you have kill la kill on your watched/caught up on list. it's one of those animes i'd recommend to anyone, lol. over-the-top yet chuck-full of awesomeness and dabbles in typical anime-like elements just enough to be not a complete tangent.
avatar and signature are temporary until I find something better

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:58:05 AM »
I can't remember any other's I've actually watched all the way and I didn't include movies.

(*) = favorite
(^)= good
(-) = meh
(v) = not so much
(?) = oh god ! it's so terrible, why did I have to watch this ?!?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !?

Watched
(*) Welcome to the NHK!
(*) Trigun
(*) Beck
(*) Paranoia Agent
(^) Hellsing Ultimate
(^) Lucky Star
(-) Highschool of the Dead
(-) Bamboo Blade
(-) DB/Z
(^) Cowboy Bebop
(^) Samurai Champloo
(-) Fooly Cooly
(v) Inuyasha
(v) Code Geass
(-) Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
(?) Shuffle!
(v) WitchBlade
(^) Madoka Magica
(^) Death Note
(-) Sailor Moon
(-) Full Metal Alchemist (Didn't watch Bros)
(v) Blood +

To watch
 Squid Girl (I need the puns.)
 Monster
 Mushishi
 Golden Boy
 Anohana
 Nichijou
 Azumanga Daioh!
 ? ? ? ?

Don't really know what else I should watch. I know that there's probably a good bit, but I always end up forgetting the names.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 06:44:29 AM »
I've seen bits and pieces of Trigun and Samurai Champloo, so I was considering going back and watching those. I also want to re-watch Cowboy Bebop because I don't remember most of it.

I will add Psycho-Pass to the list, and I'll take Full Metal Alchemist as a low-priority one based on your description. I've heard of it several times, especially in the past, and it appeared to be pretty popular.

Also, does anyone know what's the deal with the over-abundance of high school-setting anime? It kinda turns me off because I despise high school in general.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 03:31:20 PM »
It sells well because lots of people still look back at it as the happiest part of their lives or want to go back and try it again. Of course there is the whole highschool student demographic as well, but they're more after the whole sad otaku money.
I can see the appeal, as I was like a king in highschool. Miss my friends and such nowadays.
It's still way overdone though, and I've never really cared for it, despite being not much different than the target audience.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
Here's somethin to get u to watch Nichijou

Offline Xazel

• Newbie Adept
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
I will add Psycho-Pass to the list, and I'll take Full Metal Alchemist as a low-priority one based on your description. I've heard of it several times, especially in the past, and it appeared to be pretty popular.
:D My opinion is valued! I hope you like them. There were the only ones I could think of off the top of my head to match what you might like.

Also, does anyone know what's the deal with the over-abundance of high school-setting anime? It kinda turns me off because I despise high school in general.

@Axolotl: Yahari, watashi wa kore o miyou. I'll watch it after all. xD Seems funny.
Simply put:
1) Like Ailanthus said, demographics are a big part of it. Target consumers relate easily to high-school, and it's an experience that some people likely would want to have had differently (I think that's what he was getting at with "sad otaku money").
2) It's just easy. It's a model that been done over and over and over and over again. I'm kind of surprised it still works though, but that just shows how -safe- of an anime model it really is. You can't really go wrong with it (unless you really suck), but it just lacks luster these days due to overuse, abuse, and lack of innovation.
3) Along the lines of easiness, it makes easy plot developments, like the "mysterious transfer student" to add a change in pace and introduce curiosity. There are also beach scene options with the high school genre to add amorosity (not sure if that's a word, but I'm gonna use it anyway) if there's a need to draw the audience in more with the characters.

There are probably more reasons, but these are all I can think of easily. I kind of frown when I see high school plot lines in anime, because I've only seen a few pull it off successfully. =/

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:21:16 AM »
Here's somethin to get u to watch Nichijou

Sold. Just sayin'

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
  • Last name change. I've been moving for a while.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »
All of y'all need more Kuroko no Basuke in your lives. You're welcome in advance.

Offline Scorpio

• Mars Clan
  • The Legandary Hero King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:12 PM »
NO! STAR, DO NOT WATCH FULL METAL ALCHEMIST! WATCH FMA BROTHERHOOD INSTEAD! IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MANGA FAR BETTER THAN THE FIRST ANIME!

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I think that's part of why people loved Clannad: After Story. It went past the high-school setting to show how they live after they graduate. For an anime recommendation that doesn't involve high school, there's fma, gurren, the higurashi series, um... yeah. What Xazel said about the high school animes. It's like mmorpgs, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just make it a little different.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
NO! STAR, DO NOT WATCH FULL METAL ALCHEMIST! WATCH FMA BROTHERHOOD INSTEAD! IT FOLLOWS THE SOURCE MANGA FAR BETTER THAN THE FIRST ANIME!
Don't worry. At the pace I'm going now, I'll get to it when I'm like 100. Lol. I'm just too busy with gaming right now. Still have quite the backlog.

Offline Xazel

• Newbie Adept
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
I think that's part of why people loved Clannad: After Story. It went past the high-school setting to show how they live after they graduate. For an anime recommendation that doesn't involve high school, there's [. . .] gurren, the higurashi series . . .
Clannad caught me by surprise and made me shed not-so-manly tears. It can really get to you if you let it Dx.
GURREN LAGANN!!! ... !!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah it's awesome.
Higurashi... if you want to never get decent sleep again, then yeah, watch this series.

Don't worry. At the pace I'm going now, I'll get to it when I'm like 100. Lol.
I say watch the original then Brotherhood so you truly enjoy the remade series. Then again, if you had to choose one, I'd go with Scorp and say Brotherhood.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
I don't know if I could watch both...

Also, what do y'all think of Attack on Titan? That anime keeps popping up in discussions 'round teh interwebz, and I considered watching it because it is on Netflix...