Topic: Apathy  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Star Magician

• The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:42 AM »
Anyone have any advice on how to get over it?

prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny prinny dood

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »
Not really.
I've had issues with it for a good while.
It still comes back pretty hard every now and again.
What helped me the most was finding catharsis. It gets me feeling again.
If I really think about it though, the feeling better is what comes and goes.
Most of time I do feel better, it's if I'm too distracted to think about anything.

Honestly, I just dealt with it through drug use, but that's definitely not much of a solution.
I guess it more depends on the source of your apathy. What is it that you don't care about, and your best guess as to why that is ?
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
What's cathartic to you? Sometimes, going on a murderous rampage in GTA is pretty cathartic for me lol. But it doesn't last long.

As for drugs, I've never experienced that. I don't smoke. I've never even taken a drink. Maybe that's what's missing from my life. I am part Irish and Scottish after all.  :tongue:

...But I really don't want to.

I don't know if I could answer that last question yet.

Offline Scorpio

• Mars Clan
  • The Legandary Hero King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 06:08:15 AM »
I just deal with it myself. Try to care enough and you will after a while. It's not a cure, but it's better than nothing.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »
I find my catharsis by drowning myself in sad music, shows, stories, art when I'm alone, or watching old episodes of Mr. Rogers and The Joy of Painting which causes the same effect.
I'd be lying if I said I'm against drug use but, if you get into it to escape problems it's pretty much guaranteed addiction so that's prrrreeeetty bad.  :78:
It's good that you've got little interest in it, but I think people who are 100% clean are just repressed/sheltered. No offense of course. I guess I just have a very mixed opinion of drugs.

For me the last question is a bit tough too, I know that I seem to care about very little. I have no goals, I don't want a nice job, house, the girl, money, I don't want any of it. I think it has something to do with my overall inability to help anyone, though that kind of just digs the hole itself.

I just deal with it myself. Try to care enough and you will after a while. It's not a cure, but it's better than nothing.
It's good if you're free of it, but just trying to care doesn't really work wonders. It's just a mask to play the part for a while.
I guess it is really the only thing that can be done though.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:50:14 PM »
For me the last question is a bit tough too, I know that I seem to care about very little. I have no goals, I don't want a nice job, house, the girl, money, I don't want any of it. I think it has something to do with my overall inability to help anyone, though that kind of just digs the hole itself.
That's like me, except that it's not that I can't help others, it's that I don't want to. I don't care about my own well-being very much either. I have no passion, therefore no career direction.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Been in a bad spell again. Haven't done anything in days.
There's plenty that I should be doing but I don't know.
Can't muster up enough willpower to even play a game, hardly even to eat.
I'm grateful that my roommate will actually bring food to me just about every other day, don't even have to ask. Not that I would.
It's got me smoking a lot more than usual.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 01:06:29 PM »
I could try to explain why I've stayed away from drinking/drugs, but it's hard to.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:25 PM »
I've done pretty good at keeping away from them for the most part but being sober too long makes me go crazy.
I guess it's just in my blood.

Started doodling again. Typical eyes, monsters, and little girls like I used to.
It's got me in a somewhat better mood.
Still supremely lazy though.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:31 AM »
You should post your doodles. Just sayin'

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 02:03:47 AM »
Started doodling again. Typical eyes, monsters, and little girls like I used to.
It's got me in a somewhat better mood.

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
^LOL.

Offline Xazel

• Newbie Adept
  • Time is scarce; 'rather spend it enjoyably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
Hm, not the easiest thing to answer... but I'll try to!

Apathy isn't something I've really conquered yet, but it just sort of comes and goes. I haven't found any solid source of inspiration really, but I'm compelled by obligations and things I have to do in order to keep things going, and to help those whom I care about. It's usually easier for me to be more committed to something when it involves someone else than just myself in the matter, but then again, I tend not to really get involved unless I get to know people (which is kind of contradictory).

For me personally, apathy and interest come and go both in larger trends and smaller ones. I'll have periods of ups and downs, but even little things can make or break my day sometimes. Some days some random act of awesomeness just brightens things up, and on others, things I like to think of as stupid kind of ruin things. However, I've managed to stay away from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco due to having seen their effects on other people. That, and I'm also asthmatic so smoke is rather irritating to me, and alcohol just smells terrible to me... as for drugs, I value what little health, self-control, and money I have. Lol.

I think that the common theme in all my successful battles over apathy is something to look forward to. No matter how small, it can drive me or sort of lead me along until I find something else. Also, friends are another great resource: I often find doing nothing with (true) friends is more fun than doing something alone--for the most part.

'Hope this kind of helps? Lol.
avatar and signature are temporary until I find something better

Offline Star Magician

• I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
Something to look forward to...
That is certainly something that's lacking in my life right now to be honest. I don't really know how to find such a thing either.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 03:04:03 AM »
Alcohol is one of the only things I can smell, and it is indeed horrible. Most of it really doesn't taste much different than pee, so it doesn't have that appeal either.
Oi, Steel Reserve especially, only difference is a hint of mint and it actually makes it taste worse. So strong, so nasty, so cheap.  :66: :41:

Looking forward to something sounds pretty great, can't think of anything that gets me too excited though.
Besides how convinced I am that we're gonna be getting some sweet sci-fi tech and probably discover aliens in my lifetime.

I think I'm out of my rut for now. Still can't think of much to do though.