Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: July 27, 2014, 10:33:05 AM »
Yep.
So...
Here, we talk about Final Fantasy. To start off, you can copy/paste this little questionnaire if you want. Or not.

How you got into the series: Not really into the series right now so to speak, but my friend got me to play Final Fantasy X back in '01. Prior to that, I had seen another friend playing Final Fantasy VII, and I thought it looked interesting.
Games in the series you've played: X, XII, XIII, and brief parts of VI, VII and Tactics.
Favorite game: X
Favorite protagonists: Rikku, Yuna, Auron, Balthier, Sazh, Vanille, Fang
Favorite Antagonists: Seymour, Jecht, Rosch
Favorite moments: Seeing Blitzball being played in real-time on FFX made me wish it was real (I still do, just sayin'). In FFXII, ancient city of Giruvegan and the Pharos of Ridorana were very amazing places to visit. In XIII, all of the parts involving Dajh and the return to Oerba were pretty emotional for me.

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:02 AM »
How I got into it: Final Fantasy IV (II back then) on SNES was one of the first games I played. I watched my brother play it a lot and wanted to try. Couldn't yet read though. Didn't beat it until I was in middleschool though.

Played: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Tactics, VII, X, XI, both Dissidia games (for an unfathomable amount of time.), and Crisis Core. Breifly played IX and Tactics Advance (plan on going back to those some day.)
Favorite: Tactics

Favorite Protagonists: Laguna, Kain, Vincent, Agrias (mai waifu), Irvine, Zell, Wakka, Barret, Sabin, and Yuffie.
Antagonists: Seifer, Golbez, Delita, Izlude (not sure why), and unsurprisingly Sephiroth.

Favorite Moments: Balamb Garden right after the opening, Laguna in Winhill, the assassination during the fair (all early in VII), Anything involving the Germonik Scriptures in Tactics, "Bomb"ing of Myst, Whenever Kain is actually on your side (both in IV), Cyan's introduction in VI, Gold Saucer in VII, and BLITZBALL !

TL;DR  I'm a fanboy.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:08:09 AM »
I have never finished any of the games, but the ones I have at least touched are I, II, VI, XIII, Tactics, and Dimensions

Offline Nyran

• Venus Clan
  • Nyran, Superior; Lepricorn, Inferior
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Casterrix
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:13:09 AM »
I've played quite a few, but only in the main series.

I honestly don't care for it as much as a lot of people. I'll hear and accept defenses for VI and prior, but I didn't care for VIII and past. And VII is just kinda meh for me.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
My roommate is a FFVIII fanboy lol. He's playing it right now actually.

I don't know if I'll try it...

What did y'all think of XII and/or XIII? Talking about it on the Chaos Theater and Final Fantasy Shrine forums learned me that XII doesn't get talked about much, even though people seemed to like it quite a bit, but XIII is very polarizing within the fan-base. I posted that I liked it, and one of the admins (I kid you not) went out of his way to basically tell me I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:58:01 PM by Star Magician »

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:08 PM »
I've only watched others play XII, the combat nor any of the characters appealed to me. What I know about the system does make me want to try it out, but I've never made it a priority.

XIII, I was wary about since the first trailer. The combat left me extremely disinterested. The "quality acting" certainly added to the appeal.

The system didn't seem too interesting either. I'd watched my brother play it a decent bit, but didn't get interested.
He gave it a decent review, and said I'd like Sazh (Sahz ?)
Traded it in before I got a chance to borrow it.
Then the sequels started happening, cementing the idea that I shouldn't bother.

Also, Vanille sex-moans every time she gets hit.

~The following is all about VIII.~
VIII seems to get a lot of hate.
I don't really get why. The Junction system is one of my favorite sytems in the series. Only beaten out by the Job system in V.
VIII has a lot of my most favorite characters too, like Laguna.
Problems I have with it are...

Rinoa: I usually never like the female lead, here it is especially true. I find her annoying and unlikable. She's like a more immature Aries, who I also didn't like.

Romance Centered Story: I kind of let this one slide since plenty of good RPGs have heavy romance. I just don't like it.

Who the romance is with: I know Squall tends to get ragged on a lot but, besides his strange romance with Rinoa and the "character development" that came with it, I think he's a solid character.
He kind of reminds me of my brother.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 06:34:24 AM »
I've only watched others play XII, the combat nor any of the characters appealed to me. What I know about the system does make me want to try it out, but I've never made it a priority.
XII gets a lot better about halfway through the game, which is about when the gambit system becomes really important. It makes battle very intuitive and you can adapt on-the-fly unlike with XIII.

XIII, I was wary about since the first trailer. The combat left me extremely disinterested. The "quality acting" certainly added to the appeal.

The system didn't seem too interesting either. I'd watched my brother play it a decent bit, but didn't get interested.
He gave it a decent review, and said I'd like Sazh (Sahz ?)
Traded it in before I got a chance to borrow it.
Then the sequels started happening, cementing the idea that I shouldn't bother.
Sazh was one of my favorite characters, if not my top favorite. There was a lot of real emotion put into the characters, but the cutscenes were wayyyy too melodramatic. I've seen people complain that the characters are unlikable because they don't simply "do what's right" sometimes, but I say that's because they're just more human than other characters in the genre.
A problem I had with the system was that it takes too long to open up to the player (it takes about 20-25 hours of linear, story-driven-only content before it does). Once it does though, the gameplay is a lot more engaging.
I don't know if I'll pick up the sequel yet. I've heard lots of good about XIII-2's gameplay, but Lightning Returns I've heard nothing positive about.

Also, Vanille sex-moans every time she gets hit.
>Why she's one of my favorite characters. Just sayin' I'm kidding.

Offline Team Flare Zakk ( Agatio )

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:22 AM »
Favorite Game: None

Favorite Protagonist: White Mage, she's pretty good at basketball and hockey

Favorite Antagonist: Sephiroth, he's just cool

Favorite Moment: the FF7 Robot Chicken sketch with the Hamburger yum yum theme with Sephiroth.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »
Huh. I haven't seen that Robot Chicken episode. But I have seen this...

Offline Aether

• Jupiter Clan
  • the main broswagonist in his season 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:58 AM »
Egg roll, chickadee
Peter Pan, lemon tree

Fat sauce, Tiffany
Ate a bear, Kevin lee

Sephiroth

Offline Miva

• Jupiter Clan
  • Adept Squire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
How you got into the series: I think X was my first, then I started picking up some of the earlier games. I have I, II, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, X, X-2 and XII, but the only ones I finished were X and X-2. Actually I also have and completed crystal chronicles.
Favorite game: VI, I really wish I'd finished it, but I went back to it after a long time and my memory card lost all my saves.
Favorite protagonists: It always used to be all the rogues, I was rogue crazy back then, also any of the sexy brooding men XD Not sure who my favourites are any more.
Favorite Antagonists: I remember Kefka being kinda cool/creepy.
Favorite moments: Can't think of any at the moment.

Has anyone played Lost Odessy? I picked it up recently and I'm quite enjoying it. I think it's made by some of the guys that used to make final fantasy, it certainly feels that way. The only think I'm not liking so far is that I'm finding the characters really unlikable.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »
Egg roll, chickadee
Peter Pan, lemon tree

Fat sauce, Tiffany
Ate a bear, Kevin lee

Sephiroth
Ba-BaBa-Ba- Baaaa
Made of Broth !

I actually liked Lost Odyssey a good bit but never finished it. The combat was neat and reminded me of Legend of Dragoon. The characters weren't very great but, I'd put a good chunk of blame on the acting. (JRPGs shouldn't even have voice acting in my opinion.)
Of course the writing is not that great either but I think it hits par at least. I think I've mentioned in another thread that I've got a soft spot for Jansen but  the characters are very forgettable. (Even appearance-wise)
...And yeah the old writer of FF games was in charge and I think Uematsu was doing the music. I'd have to check to see for Uematsu and I think even Amano (or whatever the old character designer's name was) but then again I also remember him being already dead.

For those that have played I which party do you use? I usually roll with...
Red Mage
Thief
Monk
White Mage/ Black Mage

Offline Miva

• Jupiter Clan
  • Adept Squire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »
You liked Jansen? I can't stand him, not only is he annoying as hell he tried to date rape the queen, and she didn't even seem to care....

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 03:50:09 PM »
My lack of a 360 has prevented me from playing that game, but it's near the top of my to-play 360 games list.

Offline Miva

• Jupiter Clan
  • Adept Squire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
I only have mine because my dad got one free with his phone contract and never used it, so he handed it down to me. I been catching up with a few games that never came out on pc. Apparently Neir was meant to be a good jrpg too: different kind of thing, but good in its own way.