Topic: Soundtracks General Discussion/Review  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • The Lost Waters Veteran
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
This thread encompasses ALL soundtracks, be it games, movies or shows.
I'll start the discussion by asking a simple question:

What are your favorites and why?

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Ivan Strider

• Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • Show me da wae
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:00:36 AM »
1) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days REmix version OST
This is the darkest and the saddest part of the KH timeline, so not only does it have a great story, it has great music that goes along with it.

Best in the OST

#1)Xion's Final Stand: Vector to the Heavens- A fantastic version of Xion's theme. Not only does it include an extra feeling (desperation) it makes you not want to fight Xion. It's a theme you just want to pause the game and listen to.

#2) Xion: Who Am I?- This theme will make you cry (unless your one of those 'tough guys') and it's not just because it plays during her...well I won't spoil it. This song has the sense of uncertainty and sorrow in it. it also gives that stretch of longing. A beautiful piece of work by Yoko Shimomura.

#3) Roxas: The Promise- Commonly mistaken for 'The Other Promise' and doesn't have another official name other than 'Roxas' so I'm naming it 'The Promise'. Like Xion's this gives uncertainty and sorrow, but that's because it really is supposed to and actually implies it in the music while with Xion's it blends it in with the slightly glad music it plays. Roxas' theme is also sure to bring some tears.

#4) Escaping the Castle That Never Was: Sacred Moon Version 2, well it's kind of hard to explain this one, but it is a theme that has a sense of mystery and betrayal. Another beautiful piece of work.

#5) Ones that threaten existence: Vim and Vigor- this boss theme is 'unfortunately' another one with a sense of desperation, but That's the way I like it. It also gives that sense of need..the need to hurry.

The Legend of Zelda- Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess OST.
Why both together? They are both wonderful OST's that will reach the heart and/or make you laugh or 'snort' or cry.

#5) Facility Chaos: Koloktos/Moldarach Theme- Cause, cause....It's EPIC! (lol)

#4) Queen of the Mansion: Blizzeta's theme- ooh. an Icy chill with a twist, a heart smashing mixture of mystical and threatening

#3) Twilight Imp: Midna's Desperate Hour- Not Midna's theme, but the song that plays when Midna is dying and you are rushing to save her. A Hyrule field remix with a saddening twist.

#2) Zelda's Reflection: Ballad of the Goddess FULL-

(couldn't find the pic sorry)
The Rock: You know, Koji Kondo really outdid himself. The Ballad of the Goddess is AMAZING!

Girl from race to witch mountain: but it's just Zelda's Lullaby played backwards!

The Rock: *disbelief face*

(aaaaand moving on)

#1) Twilight Imp: Midna's Lament- What really confused me was why Midna had a really depressing theme Then I saw her back-story and Immediately realized why. This theme reaches the heart and never lets it go.
The most important day of the gay agenda is obviously Taco Tuesday

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
  • Last name change. I've been moving for a while.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:25:32 AM »
Radiant Historia: Very powerful orchestral pieces, especially for a game on the DS. And Yoko Shimomura <3
Persona 4
Legend of Zelda: Koji Kondo is a musical genius.
The World Ends with You: One of the harder ones for me to explain. Probably one of the closest things to mainstream pop music that I listen to.
Fire Emblem Awakening:
Ni No Kuni: I haven't actually played this, but I love the epic fairy tale atmosphere it gives. Makes me feel like a little kid again.
Devil Survivor 2
Rise of the Guardians: Not something that I'd listen to regularly, but the pieces are really well done and they fit the movie perfectly.
VVVVVV

And finally, this one has completely taken me by storm. I discovered the Ar Tonelico soundtrack (Specifically, the hymns), and I have completely fallen in love. I have been listening to these nonstop for a few days.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:25 AM »
And finally, this one has completely taken me by storm. I discovered the Ar Tonelico soundtrack (Specifically, the hymns), and I have completely fallen in love. I have been listening to these nonstop for a few days.
Did you discover it by playing the games or did you just find the songs online? I've only played the first Ar Tonelico (Melody of Elemia for the PS2) and wasn't very impressed, so I'm reluctant to try the next two. The music was amazing though, and the story was pretty good despite some cringe-worthy plot devices... >.<

JUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKAJUSTMONIKA

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
  • Last name change. I've been moving for a while.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:15 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the consoles for the games. A friend over at another forum showed me. The closest I've gotten to actually playing the games is watching someone on youtube play them. I feel like it had a lot of great ideas that could have been executed a lot better.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
I feel like it had a lot of great ideas that could have been executed a lot better.
That's how I felt too. The whole concept of Reyvateils is one of them, which is pretty bad, considering that they're a major part of the plot >.<

Offline Team Flare Zakk ( Agatio )

• Honored Commander Adept
  • Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I like the soundtrack that plays throughout the movie The Ring, I watch that movie just to listen to it sometimes, I love that music!

Around we go, the world is spinning, when it stops, it's just beginning,

Sun comes up, we live and we cry, Sun goes down, and then we all die...

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 02:23:57 AM »
As far as movie soundtracks go, my favorite is, without question, Titan A.E. I used to watch that movie over and over and over, including Lit's music video at the end.
I also love the soundtrack of History of Trunks (DBZ movie). Why? Because Dream Theater. :P

• Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:44:53 AM »
As far as movie soundtracks go, my favorite is, without question, Titan A.E. I used to watch that movie over and over and over, including Lit's music video at the end.
I also love the soundtrack of History of Trunks (DBZ movie). Why? Because Dream Theater. :P

My friend used to love Trunks, I remember History of Trunks.

I like how during the credits it shows that big guy with armor and a cape, what's his name, King Kai or something, anyway it's funny how he's a big bad looking dude wearing armor and a cape and he's beaten so easily, me and my friend used to joke about that all the time.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »
Ah yes, King Cold. A disappointing villain to say the least :/

• Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 04:48:01 AM »
I have a song from a movie soundtrack, go to Youtube, search Frank N Furter, the song is called Sweet Transvestite, enjoy the video.

Offline J

• Adept Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 05:46:27 AM »
Legend of Korra;  Hittin' on All Sixes  ( :venus_djinn: :mars_djinn: :jupiter_djinn: :mercury_djinn:)

Journey; I was Born for This  (The end of the road and the memorable trip back down it.)

Princess and the Frog; Dig a Little Deeper  (An uplifting song.)

LBP2; Victoria's Lab  (Catchy original piece from the game that can be tweaked in custom levels.)

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
I've always wanted to play Journey. That song makes me want to play it more :)

• Go Team Flare!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 06:30:34 AM »
Whatever Journey that was sounded terrible.

Please understand I'm comparing it to the kick butt band, Don't Stop Believing Journey.

Offline Star Magician

• Mercury Clan Leader
  • I am derp.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
You mean the sell-out band Journey. Just sayin'

I've been listening to the soundtrack of Xenoblade Chronicles lately. It has various composers including Manami Kiyota, Yoko Shimomura and one of my favorite composers, Yasunori Mitsuda.