Topic: Good News/Perks about Dark Dawn (Spoiler-Free)  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Dogma

• Adept Squire
  • Pumpkin Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Hollow
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
Golden Sun 3 came out today, and I got it.

After playing it for a while I'd like to shell out some good news to the gamers wondering if there's any merit in the complaints the big-wig reviewers are giving it.

The game is NOT too easy.  I'm pretty sure I'm not just horrible enough to die twice, but the game lives right up to the typical Golden Sun standard.  Most random encounters can be killed with normal attacks/unleashes, while some can give you real trouble, and most scripted battles pose an expected challenge.  If you want to up the difficulty a little bit without seriously inhibiting yourself, you can simply neglect Inns and/or sell any permanent stat increasing items you find.  People who say it's too easy are probably using the first boss battle as an example which is ludicrous because he dies after one summon.

The psynergy casting is pretty much the same, though there is the very very slight and uncommon annoyance of finding out you're standing too close and have recast Move or something.  Other than that, it's quite intuitive.

The 3D aspect does not disturb classic Golden Sun gameplay, and the characters definitely maintain a cute chibi overworld appearance.

Some great extras which people tend not to mention:

Weapons can have MULTIPLE unleashes.  The most I've seen I think is 3 so far.  So they can do normal attacks, critical hits, and special attacks.  Some unleashes damage more than one enemy too.

Attacking normally is more intelligent.  If the enemy dies before you can attack it, your character won't defend, but attack the nearest enemy instead.

Battles can be sped up.  In the original games, you can hold down B to automatically advance the battle, but this time around, it also speeds up gameplay, even shortening summon sequences if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

The "time" issue is explained.  The game states that those who got close to the Golden Sun aged very little.  This explains why Kraden's still up and about and how "Arcanus" doesn't look any older.

Please if anyone who hasn't got the game yet has some misgivings about some purported features.  Ask about them here.  I'll try to keep this thread updated as I play through.

Offline orlando1210

• Mercury Clan
  • Adept Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
It is harder later in the game, the final boss can pwn you hard if you aren't ready xD

-koff- Edit: The most unleashes on a weapon is 4.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:13:54 PM by orlando1210 »
Hoping for a new GS game :D

Offline Statistic

• Adept Squire
  • Our happy little family is back together again
    • MSN Messenger - Statistic_endless@live.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:35:16 AM »
It is harder later in the game, the final boss can pwn you hard if you aren't ready xD

-koff- Edit: The most unleashes on a weapon is 4.
The final boss, and secret bosses are the only note-worthy enjoyable battles in this title. xD  The plot has been by far the most enjoyable thus far.  I love this game xD

Offline orlando1210

• Mercury Clan
  • Adept Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:26:57 AM »
The final boss, and secret bosses are the only note-worthy enjoyable battles in this title. xD  The plot has been by far the most enjoyable thus far.  I love this game xD

I thought the three guards were noteworthy as well. Well, because they can and will kill you if they caught you off guard plus the last time when I was unlucky, they instantly stunned both Karis and Tyrell, and killed them off, leaving Matthew to fend for himself, who eventually got stunned and killed :/ Though they are actually very easy.
Hoping for a new GS game :D

Offline Dogma

• Adept Squire
  • Pumpkin Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Hollow
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:39:41 PM »
That's exactly what happened to me.

Offline Statistic

• Adept Squire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »

I thought the three guards were noteworthy as well. Well, because they can and will kill you if they caught you off guard plus the last time when I was unlucky, they instantly stunned both Karis and Tyrell, and killed them off, leaving Matthew to fend for himself, who eventually got stunned and killed :/ Though they are actually very easy.
The way you start the battle off effect the way they react.  Every time I started off with Djinn they wiped out my PP and stunned me.  Every time I started out with pure Psynergy attacks on all 3 they attacked normally without stuns.  And I'm not kidding when I say every time, I've faced them over 12 times now. xD

Offline The Sea King

• Administrator
  • Lighthouse Guardian
  • Guardian of the lighthouses.
    • MSN Messenger - lostwaterking@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • The Lost Waters
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:35:36 AM »
The "time" issue is explained.  The game states that those who got close to the Golden Sun aged very little.  This explains why Kraden's still up and about and how "Arcanus" doesn't look any older.
Do the new heros of dark dawn also inherit the "Golden Sun Youth" from their parent?

Offline Statistic

• Adept Squire
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43:36 PM »
Do the new heros of dark dawn also inherit the "Golden Sun Youth" from their parent?
Not explained, but no, I don't think they did.  I'd find it cheesy anyways.

Offline Dogma

• Adept Squire
  • Pumpkin Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Hollow
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
It's a good excuse to preserve the characters.  I can appreciate that.

Anyway, about the easy thing.  I typed that right after getting my ass kicked on the first Tuaparang guys.

Ultimately, I found them and the final boss the only legitimately challenging enemies.  To me, the game was too short, the story was spotty and congested, and... Lost Age was just better.  I ended the game carrying one of the only three forgeable items I ever found, think about THAT.

Dark Dawn gets big props for giant improvements to the interface, graphics, and battle system, but the cliffhanger which throws back to the first conflict we ever really saw in the game (and came to entirely forget) is evidence that the REAL game experience concerning these psynergy vortexes is another game entirely.

Offline tatsumakitee

• Newbie Adept
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 11:58:50 AM »
wat r u  talking about it was a hardout easy game
maybe not for the last boss and dullahan(was easier than tla) i found myself just breezing through the game without a worry of dying since i hav good strategys and all

Offline The Sea King

• Administrator
  • Lighthouse Guardian
  • Guardian of the lighthouses.
    • MSN Messenger - lostwaterking@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • The Lost Waters
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 12:55:51 AM »
From what I seen from the video walkthroughs, some of the party members die from the eclipse monsters.

Offline Dogma

• Adept Squire
  • Pumpkin Bastard
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Hollow
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 01:01:28 AM »
No one in your party of eight.

Offline Halcyonic Legend

• Global Moderator
  • Royal Master Guard Adept
  • SpecOps Spartan Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:42 PM »
Yes, tatsumakitee, because you're just that good.

The game wasn't easy. The bosses could have been alittle more powerful, yes, but it was comparable to the first game.
The game was not BAD, but the game wasn't good either, in my oppinion, and just didn't compare to the first two games. I hope the next one is better...