Topic: Maegra versus...?  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
  • Sparky, the Blue Devil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
*Disclaimer* I would appreciate it if any challengers please post in an informative manner. You don't have to enter RP territory, but it would be more fluid if responses were along those lines as you'll see from my post. I can see how the quick "Attacks/Defends" style posts can work when hurrying to post, but when TLW started it's RP Battles back when that's exactly what they were; 'RP Battles'. You would get a real sense of how these OC's behaved and their various flaws, qualities and beliefs would come to light as they faced eachother. I'd like to bring those kinds of fights back if at all possible.

Minor Ground Rules.

Firstly: As various OC's can originate from not only the GS world but also other Mythos and Games, 'General Magic' is the consensus for spells and the like. You aren't limited to the moves that GS has created, you are free to act within your given element as you see fit (provided you don't go overboard, larger spells will drain you and weaken you moreso than basic ones). You can still use the Psyenergy from GS as a reference point, if you so desire.

Secondly: You are not a goddam Ninja. You will take hits, and you will be fair about it. You cannot block/dodge every attack thrown at you, and taking hits should affect the way you continue (Hand/Leg injuries etc). You may heal, but you don't have an infinite supply of Potions/Herbs/Spells at your disposal.

Lastly: Keep the posts to an acceptable size. No massive posts when you do a hundred different things in one go. Keep it down to a few actions, however you may describe actions freely and talk as long as is desired.

Silence hovers over the Stadium of The Lost Waters, only broken occasionally by the low crunching sound of shoes on gravel. A man tall in stature walks along the guardrailing that seperates the field from the spectators area, running a hand softly along the cold but familiar metal. His second hand grips the hilt of a Katana, sheathed in a painted ivory scabbard. He is dressed in white robes laced with intricate silver patterns, tightened around his waist by a light leather belt. Numerous satchels and small trinkets hang from the belt. Stopping momentarily, the man reaches up to brush strands of long white hair from his face as the winds begin to pick up.

"I wonder if after all these years there's still someone to challenge. If there's anyone willing to face a veteran like myself."

He stares over the old grounds, a grin of nostalgia breaking the otherwise indistinctive expression he appears to hold. Memories rush back to him of the days of old, the many adversaries he had faced in this very place. A fight against the leader of the Waters himself, even squaring off with the very woman he loved.

"I suppose that if they truly do wish to test their mettle, then they will come. All I need do is wait..."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:14:16 PM by Maegra »

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
  • Last name change. I've been moving for a while.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:21 PM »
((I'm interested in this rp battle you're hosting, but I don't want to rush in and join before I get these small things clarified. So in this battle, you're expected a greater level of detail in each post, not just focusing on the battle but also on the characters participating in the battle, including their strengths and faults. So instead of a full rp or a full battle, you're looking for something that's about in the middle between the two. Is that correct?

Maybe what's boring me right now in the colosso board is the lack of this from both myself and other people. I read through some of the older rps on this forum, and even though I'm not sure they match up to what you're used to back in TLW's old days, they definitely seem to have a lot more personality than the entirety of the board does now.

I'm planning on joining as soon as I get a response to this. If it works out for me, then I'll continue until it meets its end. If it doesn't, I'll organize a defeat so someone else can step in.))

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »
That's pretty much it, yes. Matches back then weren't just fights for the sake of being so, each face-off was different because of the ways the OC's interacted. You would learn how a person's particular OC fought, what they would tend to do under certain conditions and how they react to various scenarios. So yes, while it is a sparring match it's also a method of further developing a character both on their own and in their relationship with other OC's.

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
"I suppose if they truly do wish to test their mettle, they will come. All I need do is wait…

"Well, it doesn't seem like you'll have to wait very long, then."

A second man, younger than the first, calmly entered the stadium. He wasn't too familiar with this particular area, as it has been disused for a long period of time. The aura of silence currently surrounding the stadium was somewhat chilling, yet it also added to the atmosphere. Despite not having seen them, he could clearly tell that great battles had happened here. Looking around the stadium in awe, he hoped that he wouldn't disappoint.

He was of similar stature to the man standing in the stadium, if a little shorter. His dark blue, nearly black, hair was clipped short enough so that it doesn't get in the way, but long enough to be affected by the wind, which was slowly picking up, as if in anticipation of the fight. He was wearing long blue robes fashioned after traditional lemurian clothing. On his belt hung a pouch full of crystal powder, several potions, elixirs, and some psynergy restoring items, along with a short sword with a pure black blade. He had a medium sized shield hung over his back.

He grinned. "Well, since we're both here ready to fight, why don't we begin?" He said, slinging his shield over his arm and unsheathing his sword.

((OOC: Just a note, I'm a fairly slow writer, so don't expect quick updates from me. Ideas are a little slow coming to me.)

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
OOC: Quite fine, that's how it started out for most RP Battles anyway. Trust me, it gets easier the more you do it.

The tall man shifted his gaze away from the terrain to the newcomer across the field, a smile slowly building on his face. He observed his challenger for a moment, eyes darting over every detail he could find.

"Aah, such a young and confident fire you have. Wonderful, you'll be needing that. Oh but where are my manners? We've not even exchanged formalities, my apologies." He said, giving a slow bow yet never loosening the grip on his hilt.

"My name is Maegra. Explorer, Alchemist, Archaeologist and even a Teacher at your service." He announced, bringing himself back to a rigid posture.

Sliding one foot behind himself, Maegra faced his body side-on with his opponent. Pushing down lightly on the grip of his blade, he brought it to a slight angle as to allow for an easy unsheathing. His grin eroded back to a stoic, concentrated stare. Slowly the winds grew stronger, dust was kicked into the air by a sudden forceful breeze as the sound of leaves rustled softly. The smell of rain surrounded them as the grounds began to chill; a storm was building.

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »
OOC: Sweet. I too have gotten the feeling that the RPs were lacking around here. You may need to set some basic ground rules to help avoid people from being, you know.... over powered. ( I think I can control myself rather well, but it does help to have some guidelines you know. )
 This sounds like it'll be a refreshing and great thread.... so, without further ado. I believe I'll join in as well.

As the wind picked up and the leaves began to blow, A third man shambled onto the field with the floating leaves.

He wore a long green coat fastened with many belts, more so than was probably needed, with a large collar concealing a portion of his scarred face.
Several scars ran along his dull left eye, which seemed to have little vision left in it.
His brown pants held by a large belt with a sack filled leaves, a few pieces of bark, and a jug containing an alcoholic substance affixed to it.
His heavily worn boots, the color faded and the square metal ends tarnished, were also fastened with belts in place of laces.
Vines grew heavily along his right arm, stemming from a small sapling on his back.
His unkempt hair was a dulled green, cut short save for a single lock that drooped to the right of his face which seemed to have once stood tall.

He brought himself closer to the two men. He ran his hand along his face as if to wipe away weariness.
"Sparring... hmm...."
He retrieved his jug and took a swig from it, before continuing.

"I'm Ailan... a 'hero'."
He gave a light chuckle at his own statement.

"Nah... I'm just a washed up mercenary."
Taking another sip, before re-fastening his jug. He grabbed a leaf from the wind.
He held it's stem as his left hand passed along it.
The leaf grew slowly to the length of a common short sword. It now seemed sturdy and edged.
He took a stance that was lacking in style, blade in his right hand and held it loosely. Facing to the side so that it was back, away from his supposed opponents.
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
OOC: Modified the original post and added some Ground Rules as suggested, hope this clears up some stuff and lets people know how they should act in the RP Also if anyone feels the need, feel free to challenge me on their own in a new topic, I'm quite used to juggling 3 to 4 fights at once.

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
He glanced sidelong at Ailan. He won't last long drinking like he is. That'll slow down his movements and leave him vulnerable.

"And I am Mercury. I am a researcher of other worlds and a master of water. Or, that's what people call me, at least." He rolled his eyes. "I'm not really that good. But my research of the other worlds has led me to be able to do more than just psynergy." He wasn't entirely sure he should give that up, but he also was just going with the flow of the introduction, like he always did.

He smiled at the building storm, knowing that it was being used to aid his opponent. Judging by Maegra's katana and his stance, he was going to be a faster fighter, dodging and attacking so quickly his opponents couldn't have time to react. Ailan, on the other hand, he wasn't entirely sure about. His stance lacked form, but looks can be deceiving. Mercury realized that he'll have to be watchful until he could figure out Ailan's fighting style. Positioning himself so that he could see both of his opponents, he faced his shield towards Maegra and his sword towards Ailan. From there he just had to wait until they made the first move.

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
OOC: Appologies if this post seems small, head has been thumping for the past couple days so I can't concentrate for long. Once that clears up and the battle picks up it'll be back to larger posts.

Maegra gave a slight chuckle under his breath as the two finished introducing themselves. Certainly not in a mocking way, but a joyful one. A smile had risen on his face once more, the kind that someone gets when remembering friends of old.

"So a researcher and a mercenary. Ah, but the Waters always did attract the most wide array of souls to it's borders. Very well then, as the eldest here I certainly hope you don't mind me taking the first move." Droplets of water began to pelt the dusty ground around them as grey clouds drew overhead; the wind was growing stronger. He held out his left hand to catch the drops of rain.

Maegra pushed the guard of his blade forward, disconnecting it from the scabbard with a loud click; almost simultaneously kicking a large portion of dirt and dust into the air in front of him. Clenching his left hand, he brought his arm in before throwing it forwards in Mercury's direction. A sharp blast of wind shattered through the dust cloud; the air itself had become a razor that smashed through the rain as it darted straight for its target.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:31:44 PM by Maegra »

Offline Ailanthus

• Venus Clan
  • Adept Champion
  • Boredom Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »
OOC: Tipsy already or not, this thread is seeming like it'll be the most fun I've had here yet.  :biggrin:
This is working out rather well, and is feeling like a true RP.  Maybe noone will be offended, but you two are in my top-three favorite members as of now, so it amplifies the feeling.   :61:
And Maegra, it matters not to me, the post is efficient as is, and like I just stated, my anticipation for this thread is high. It seems rather great to me.
And yeah man, thanks for the little rules update, they seem like they should set the ground lines well. Maybe I have too high expectations for it, but I swear this might be the best thread maybe for the whole year.

His years spent fighting Ailanthus could recognize the the signs of battle. They were already considering him nonthreatening because of his intoxication... just as assumed. (While yes his actions were a bit slow, his life of battle experience left his mind in top of his game.)
He took an over head swing at Maegra, while he was busy with Mercury. Anticipating for him to not notice, while still a bit unsure of the veteran's skill and knowledge.

He let out a grunt as he swung, a sign of the strength he put behind it, despite the fact it was letting a hint of his slow strike.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:27:54 PM by Ailanthus »
How sad it is that we give up on people who are just like us. ~ Fred Rogers

Offline Ivan Strider

• Legendary Golden Sun Adept
  • Show me da wae
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 02:53:31 AM »
OOC:I haven't RP'd for real before so why not join in and see how it goes.

A boy with dark hair and pale skin enters the arena exactly when two young men clash there swords together. The boy does not seemed frightened or nervous. He has prepared well for the battle, but does not seem to be a worthy match to any of the older ones. There is a strange aura to the boy though. The wind seems to sway with every movement he makes. He catches the eye of one of the sword clashing men. The boy gives a smirk and stands idle waiting for anyone who dares appose him. The men continue fighting and still do not take any more notice of him. But the boy is patient and continues to stand idle.
The most important day of the gay agenda is obviously Taco Tuesday

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
OOC: What does the scouter say about my post count? IT'S OVER 2000! /shot

His mind going into survival mode, he managed to jump/dive out of the way, though the was too quick and partially blinded him. He was mostly going on hearing now, as he already had mediocre/ somewhat bad vision. Hearing the grunt that Ailan made, he guessed that Maegra would be a little busy right now, but he would still have to watch out for that weather magic of his. He noticed the sound of some footsteps on another end of the arena. He was unsure whether he was a threat or not, as he still couldn't see well enough to judge. Well, if I want to get all of them, I might as well attempt that new spell. I might not get it completely right, and it's slightly draining, but it'll do. I just need to hope nothing happens while I'm casting…

He leapt back and started chanting. "Form a torrential vortex and engulf the evil spirits…"

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:37:27 AM »
OOC: Aha, I appreciate the sentiment Ailanthus. And yes, feel free Dusk/Kyle/Barney the Dinosaur, whatever the heck I'm supposed to call you by this point.

Preoccupied with throwing his attack, Maegra only had a precious few seconds to react; sidestepping, he drew his blade half-way from the sheath to protect his legs from impact. The clash of metal on metal rang out in the arena; sparks flew from the blade's edges, glittering amongst the raindrops. The force of the blow knocked Maegra'a right side lower the the ground, throwing him off-balance. By now he was used to being on the receiving end of swords, but Ailan's formless style had thrown him off guard for a fraction of a second too long. He would be sure to not make the same mistake again.

"I will wholeheartedly admit, I did not expect such great strength from someone under alchoholic influence; normally it would relax the muscles to allow for easier movement as opposed to greater force. You've certainly learned to control yourself well."

He couldn't counter effectively in this position, so he tried to widen the gap between the two. Bringing his left hand forwards, Maegra threw a palm forwards towards Ailan's legs; a small gale picked up trying to throw him back at least a few meters, attempting the create some breathing room.

Offline Merc

• Lighthouse Guardian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:10:26 AM »
"…rise up and storm the very heavens... Tidal Wave!" Mercury breathed a long sigh of relief as he finished the incantation, none of the others seemed to notice him casting. The battlefield suddenly was covered in a layer of spiraling water, pushing people around. He quickly bent down and used the water to wash out his eyes, allowing him to see what's going on.

He runs up behind Maegra. "That was fun, if a little tiring. Nice weather magic you have there, by the way. Where did you learn it?" He said as he slashed at Maegra.

OOC: Sorry for the short post, couldn't think of much to say.

Offline Maegra

• Global Moderator
  • Mariner Adept
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
Maegra rolled himself over, bringing his blade across his shoulder as he did so to deflect the sudden attack. The impact of steel knocked his opponents blade back, but at the cost of his own; the blunt underside of the Katana forcefully struck his arm. Raising himself up from the waves at his feet, he retook his rigid stance as the gale continued to push against Ailan; the spell would only last a few moments longer, he had to move quick. He sheathed his blade back into its scabbard to free up his hands.

"We have Magic back in my own land, however the key difference between our peoples seems to be that the majority of my own can control any element they choose provided they put enough study into it; whereas your adepts appear to only control one. For example.." Maegra said, slowly pacing backwards to free up some space.

The winds pushing Ailan died down as Maegra's hands began to shine a bright red, steam began to erupt from the water around him; a hazy mist started to fill the arena, replacing the rushing water at their feet. As the rush of heat drew to a close, the arena floor had become temporarily dry; a heavy, steamy fog now enveloped the three fighters as the rain started falling once more. A brief panting could be heard from Maegra's direction.

"..Unfortunately switching between the many schools of Arcana can be taxing, even for someone of my caliber. Thankfully after a few Millenium it doesn't wane on me as much as it would others. Normally it wouldn't even affect me at all, however being in your world appears to...diminish my training."

Another loud click could be heard, once more the sound of a blade disconnecting from it's scabbard in anticipation.